List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: more on KDE keybinding standard
From:       Carsten Pfeiffer <carpdjih () cetus ! zrz ! TU-Berlin ! DE>
Date:       1999-09-13 23:23:31

On Mon, Sep 13, 1999 at 03:21:07PM +0200, Dima Rogozin wrote:

Hi,

> - Ctrl-A: Most application use Ctrl-A for "Select All" functionality.
>   This is de facto standard in MS. Several applications use this
>   accelerator for other menus like "Save As" or "Open New Page"
>   I believe Ctrl-A should be declared for "Select All" the same way we
>   do it for other keys in kdstdaccel.

well, it is a de facto standard for "cursor to beginning of line" in Unix
- and so does Qt handle it. So far, we cannot change accelerators, used in
Qt widgets itself, but this will change in Qt 2.1. Then, we can use
whatever action, as long as I can configure it to "beginning of line" :o)

> - F3: Most applications use it for "Find next". But a lot of applications
>   do not use any accelerator for this menu.

Yes, I quite like this one! IMHO it should work for the first search as
well, e.g. "if we already have a search string" -> "use this one to find
the next occurrence from current position" and "if there is no search
string" -> "just open default search dialog as with Ctrl-F".

PS: did anyone ever notice that kpanel's position can be moved just by
dragging and dropping it to a different edge (watch the cursor to find
out which one)? Just found that out by accident :-D

Cheers,
Carsten Pfeiffer
--
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/1632/