List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE_1_1_BRANCH: patch to suppress kpanel icon config in kcmd
From:       Torsten Rahn <rahn () astrophysik ! uni-kiel ! de>
Date:       1999-09-03 4:43:11

Hi Duncan,

> > Sorry, I only wanted to tell you that I strongly dislike your
> > =B4solution=B4.
> -- Sorry for the *annoying* CAPITALIZATIONS  in my earlier posting. (Wince) :(

:)

> Well the other solution is to add the "tiny" icon option to kcmdisplay,
> at least for the kpanel icons.  But this seemed to involve too
> much hacking!.

But that would have been the much more transparent solution IMO......

> Actually, the other "inconsistencies" you mention are not really there;
> the duplicate desktop name button is already gone from kcmdisplay,

Ha! you got me: I still run a patched copy of KDE 1.1.1 on my laptop ...

> and the widget color doesnt clash with desktop wallpaper color!  On the

strange: why do I get the entry ´Background´ when I click onto the
Background
in the ´Preview´ which does not refer to the Background but to the
Widget-background ...?
That´s not the way it should work ...

> whole, KDE is now very consistent.

consistency is not done by having only one entry everywhere only ....

> The panel icons really behave quite differently from the kfm icons anyway.  They
> control the panel size, and the most useful choice is normal vs. tiny, as without
> a very large display (or very few panel icons), the large one don't really fit on the panel.

I use the large -icons on my laptop (1024x768) and I already know
several people who
use it under the same screen-resolution :-). But you´re right : Most
people will use it
for res. >= 1280x1024

> They also change size immediately, while KDE has to be restarted for the others to
> change.   IMHO its not so bad to configure them separately (and maybe move the

A kfm-restart will do the trick, too ....

> panel configuration from Settings->Applications->Panel to
> Settings->Desktop->panel), but I see you have strong feelings on this.

Because I´m quite sure that most people out there are not aware of this
difference.
That´s why I am strongly against this patch: People think different:
Some would expect to change the iconsize by changing the panel-size
others
would expect to change the icon-size at the same location where they
change the
icon-size of kfm. I *know* that we will have an FAQ: ´Where can I
configure the icon-size
of the panel?´ on the kde-ml and on the kde-newsgroups if we would apply
your patch.

Torsten