List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Redhat kde package config
From:       pbrown () redhat ! com
Date:       1999-09-01 3:49:34

On Tue, 31 Aug 1999, Troy Engel wrote:

> pbrown@redhat.com wrote:
> >
> > We will of course be making 1.(1.)2 packages available for Red Hat Linux
> > 6.0.
>
> I'm sure you're reading the other thread.  So, can you give us the
> outline Redhat plans on taking, so we can attempt to work together?  Any
> chance Redhat would defer to Duncan's rpm packages to stop a packaging
> fragment from happening?  He is indicating that the install-script is
> pretty beefy, so perhaps that piece of the puzzle could solve problems?

Sure.

1. We intend to continue to maintain compatibility with the FHS, but will
be moving the includes out of /usr/include directly to /usr/include/kde,
and /usr/share directly to /usr/share/kde as allowed by the FHS, and as
Stephan Kulow's debian packages are doing.

2. I am perfectly willing to get together with Duncan and anyone else who
wants to make sure that things are compatible.  But I *cannot* violate Red
Hat policy, and one of those policies is to be FHS where at all possible.

Stephan is currently (or was the last time I talked) using this
configuration:

kde_htmldir=/usr/doc/kde/HTML \
        kde_appsdir=/usr/share/applnk \
        kde_icondir=/usr/share/icons \
        kde_sounddir=/usr/share/sounds \
        kde_datadir=/usr/share/apps \
        kde_locale=/usr/share/locale \
        kde_cgidir=/usr/lib/cgi-bin \
        kde_confdir=/etc/kde \
        kde_mimedir=/usr/share/mimelnk \
        kde_toolbardir=/usr/share/toolbar \
        kde_wallpaperdir=/usr/share/wallpapers \
        kde_bindir=/usr/bin \
        kde_partsdir=/usr/lib/parts

This is probably what I will go with.  Discussion is welcome of course,
but this seems to be a compliant scheme that also works well.

---
  Preston Brown                                    Systems Engineer
  pbrown@redhat.com                                Red Hat, Inc.