List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Re: the end of KOffice? I hope no ....
From:       Reginald Stadlbauer <reggie () troll ! no>
Date:       1999-08-31 18:33:47

On Tue, 31 Aug 1999, Alexander.Feigl@gmx.de wrote:
>Sun doesn´t say anything about this strange "Sun Community Source License"
>or
>something like that. And I wonder if it will be a real "Open Source".  I
>hope it won´t
>affect KOffice.

It will of course not!

>I like KOffice better (when it gets finished). Until it is
>usable I prefer
>doing all my work with LaTeX. BTW. Can you use KWord? After banning
>StarOffice
>it would be good to have some word processor just to play with

Of course. After making a presentation for may talk at the Linux-Kongress with
KPresenter I wrote the notes with KWord (about 25 pages) and I didn't have real
problems. Also I write all my letters and reports with it, you can make tables,
insert pictures, crate text frames, let text flow around other frames (e.g.
pictures), insert variables, edit and use style templates, create use document
templates, use tabulators and some more stuff :-) And for testing I have even
a 200 pages document and KWord doesn't get slow at all with this document.

So, it's of course not perfect yet, but I think it's already useable and it at
least can do more than Abiword (when I tried it last a month ago it started
flickering and getting slow when a paragraph had more than 5 lines, it has no
tables, no frames, no editable style templates, no variables, etc :-))

--
Reggie