List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: State of scripting in KDE
From:       "John R. Zedlewski" <zedlwski () princeton ! edu>
Date:       1999-08-19 3:36:35

> My Python bindings are maintained and up to date with the Qt 1.x and KDE
> 1.x releases.

Nice.  I knew I shoulda learned Python, but I'm a Perl man myself.  I've been
looking through SWIG, which is supposed to work for TCL/Perl/Python (and was/is
required for the kdebindings package), but its C++ support seems a little
spotty.  For instance, it doesn't recognize namespaces or templates at all, and
both of these become rather important in KDE 2.0.  I also looked into XS for
Perl, but it too seems a little C-centric.  I've heard, though, that Python is
much more with the program in supporting OOP, but it still shouldn't be too bad
to support other languages as well.  It seems to me that it would make sense at
least to support KScript, Python, and Perl as "official" (with heavy emphasis
on the quotation marks), supported languages for KDE.  While I love C++ and
think that KDE gains a lot by using it as its primary development language, many
people complain about KDE's lack of support for other languages.  I would be
glad to help with KScript or perl bindings if I ever find more time.
Do you use SWIG or something similar?
--JRZ