List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: State of scripting in KDE
From:       Phil Thompson <phil () river-bank ! demon ! co ! uk>
Date:       1999-08-19 16:33:57

"John R. Zedlewski" wrote:

> > My Python bindings are maintained and up to date with the Qt 1.x and KDE
> > 1.x releases.
>
> Nice.  I knew I shoulda learned Python, but I'm a Perl man myself.  I've been
> looking through SWIG, which is supposed to work for TCL/Perl/Python (and was/is
> required for the kdebindings package), but its C++ support seems a little
> spotty.  For instance, it doesn't recognize namespaces or templates at all, and
> both of these become rather important in KDE 2.0.  I also looked into XS for
> Perl, but it too seems a little C-centric.  I've heard, though, that Python is
> much more with the program in supporting OOP, but it still shouldn't be too bad
> to support other languages as well.  It seems to me that it would make sense at
> least to support KScript, Python, and Perl as "official" (with heavy emphasis
> on the quotation marks), supported languages for KDE.  While I love C++ and
> think that KDE gains a lot by using it as its primary development language, many
> people complain about KDE's lack of support for other languages.  I would be
> glad to help with KScript or perl bindings if I ever find more time.
> Do you use SWIG or something similar?
> --JRZ

When I started out I looked at SWIG but, as you found, it's support for
C++ is cursory.  I then decided to write SIP (a small SWIG) which does a
similar job but is specifically for binding C++ classes to Python.  I
extend the functionality of SIP when I need to.  It (sort of) already
supports templates - if KDE 2.x needs namespace support then I'll add
it.

The problem with SIP is that I can't find the time to document it.

Phil