List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: State of scripting in KDE
From:       Phil Thompson <phil () river-bank ! demon ! co ! uk>
Date:       1999-08-18 18:57:27

"John R. Zedlewski" wrote:

> I was looking through the "KDEBindings" CVS, when I noticed that virtually
> everything in it seems to date to 1998 or earlier.  I downloaded perl-qt, but
> it only supports Qt 1.21 or so.  So it got me wondering, what is the state of
> scripting in KDE?  I've seen KScript, but the sample scripts don't really show
> anything much more complicated than some basic math (not that I'm putting
> KScript down, I just don't really know it yet).  So, what, if any, scripting
> languages support KDE?  If one or more languages could be made to support both
> easy GUI-creation and KOM, it would be a HUGE plus for the project.  Especially
> KOM support, because it would instantly make the whole KDE project completely
> scriptable.  KScript looks like it was designed for this goal (very IDL-like
> syntax), but I've yet to see a KScript example that uses CORBA.  Does that have
> something to do with this mysterious "ksidl" binary sitting in my KDE2
> directory?
> Thanks,
> --JRZ

My Python bindings are maintained and up to date with the Qt 1.x and KDE
1.x releases.  The next version will be released in the first week of
September which will have separate Qt and KDE bindings.  This will allow
be to start work on Qt 2.x support - and then KDE 2.x support.  The web
site it http://www.river-bank.demon.co.uk/software.

Phil