List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE 1.2-Preview: eyecandy.png
From:       Kurt Granroth <kurt_granroth () email ! mot ! com>
Date:       1999-07-29 14:50:28

Stephan Kulow wrote:
> Hmm, what does Pentium mean in english? I doubt you can trademark
> "processor"

"Pentium" doesn't mean anything in any language.  It is a word that was
specially made-up for that product.  I believe that Intel spent several
million dollars in getting some firm to think up that word.

It's designed to give you a "feeling".  The "pent" part kind of sounds like
Latin for 5 (pentagram, pentathalon, etc) to clue people that it was the
"fifth" generation processor (i586).  The "ium" part was designed to make
it sound "elemental" (titanium, cadmium, etc).

Hmm.. I think I got off-topic, there :-)
--
Kurt Granroth            | granroth@kde.org
KDE Developer/Evangelist | http://www.pobox.com/~kurt_granroth