List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: RFC: new "Label" keyword for desktop files...
From:       iglio () fub ! it (Pietro Iglio)
Date:       1999-07-26 11:53:56

At 12.50 26/07/99 +0200, Waldo Bastian wrote:
>Pietro Iglio wrote:
>>
>> My proposal is to separate them using Name for the application identifier
>> and Label for the application name that is shown in the k-menu.
>> Name should not be translated any more, of course.
>> So, a .desktop file with the following entries:
>>
>> Type=Application
>> Name=Trashcan
>> Name[it]=Cestino
>> Name[ru]=xxxyyyzzz
>>
>> should become:
>>
>> Type=Application
>> Name=Trashcan
>> Label=Trashcan
>> Label[it]=Cestino
>> Label[ru]=xxxyyyz
>
>What about making it:
>Type=Application
>Id=Trashcan
>Name=Trashcan
>Name[it]=Cestino
>Name[ru]=xxxyyyzzz
>
>If the 'Id' field is missing, 'Name' is used instead.
>If you make a modification to the 'Name' field and you don't have an 'Id'
field,
>make sure to write the old name to the 'Id' field and the new name to the
'Name'
>field.
>
>Advantage: Better compatible with the current format.

Disavantage: if a desktop file is missing the Id name, users cannot change
the application name in the k-menu. The application id is a much more critical
information than the application name.

If we want to use Id or AppId (as Stephan suggests) is fine for me, but
we must somehow enforce that a valid application desktop file has an
AppId entry (for example, kded could issue a warning and fix the desktop
file?).

-- Pietro