At 12.50 26/07/99 +0200, Waldo Bastian wrote: >Pietro Iglio wrote: >> >> My proposal is to separate them using Name for the application identifier >> and Label for the application name that is shown in the k-menu. >> Name should not be translated any more, of course. >> So, a .desktop file with the following entries: >> >> Type=Application >> Name=Trashcan >> Name[it]=Cestino >> Name[ru]=xxxyyyzzz >> >> should become: >> >> Type=Application >> Name=Trashcan >> Label=Trashcan >> Label[it]=Cestino >> Label[ru]=xxxyyyz > >What about making it: >Type=Application >Id=Trashcan >Name=Trashcan >Name[it]=Cestino >Name[ru]=xxxyyyzzz > >If the 'Id' field is missing, 'Name' is used instead. >If you make a modification to the 'Name' field and you don't have an 'Id' field, >make sure to write the old name to the 'Id' field and the new name to the 'Name' >field. > >Advantage: Better compatible with the current format. Disavantage: if a desktop file is missing the Id name, users cannot change the application name in the k-menu. The application id is a much more critical information than the application name. If we want to use Id or AppId (as Stephan suggests) is fine for me, but we must somehow enforce that a valid application desktop file has an AppId entry (for example, kded could issue a warning and fix the desktop file?). -- Pietro