List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: RFC: new "Label" keyword for desktop files...
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () ens ! ascom ! ch>
Date:       1999-07-26 10:50:37

Pietro Iglio wrote:

> Application .desktop files (but what I'm going to say may apply to other
> types of desktop files as well) have a "Name" key that is used both as
> the system application identifier and as the application name in the K-menu.
>
> This approach has some drawbacks:
>
> - if the user changes the application name in the K-menu
>   (eg. Klyx 1.0 -> KLyx), the system application identifier is changed too;
>   this might break external references -- an application identifier should
>   NEVER be changed until an application is uninstalled;
>
> - application identifiers could have a more compact format to avoid
>   typing errors when a configuration file (menurc) is manually edited
>   (eg. "Stardivision StarOffice 5.01" -> "SOFFICE_501");
>
> My proposal is to separate them using Name for the application identifier
> and Label for the application name that is shown in the k-menu.
> Name should not be translated any more, of course.
> So, a .desktop file with the following entries:
>
> Type=Application
> Name=Trashcan
> Name[it]=Cestino
> Name[ru]=xxxyyyzzz
>
> should become:
>
> Type=Application
> Name=Trashcan
> Label=Trashcan
> Label[it]=Cestino
> Label[ru]=xxxyyyz

What about making it:
Type=Application
Id=Trashcan
Name=Trashcan
Name[it]=Cestino
Name[ru]=xxxyyyzzz

If the 'Id' field is missing, 'Name' is used instead.
If you make a modification to the 'Name' field and you don't have an 'Id' field,
make sure to write the old name to the 'Id' field and the new name to the 'Name'
field.

Advantage: Better compatible with the current format.

Cheers,
Waldo
--
The "gui" in "Penguin" is pronounced "K-D-E"