List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KStdDirs, named levels.
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () ens ! ascom ! ch>
Date:       1999-07-23 14:03:32

Waldo Bastian wrote:

> Pietro Iglio wrote:
> > > Have you thought about how apps should add themselves to the menu \
> > > during installation? Up till now it was enough to put the .desktop \
> > > file in the right directory.
> >
> > Using batch features of the menu editor (that I'll add).
> > For example, assuming that the .desktop files have been copied in the \
> > right dir:
> >
> > kmenueditor --add Konsole.desktop MyUtils/Shell/
> > kmenueditor --remove Konsole.desktop MyUtils/Shell/
> > kmenueditor --move Konsole.desktop MyUtils/Shell/  MyUtils/
> >
> > If we introduce naming for levels (think about that!):
> >
> > kmenueditor --level=local --add Konsole.desktop MyUtils/Shell/
> > kmenueditor --level=global --add Konsole.desktop MyUtils/Shell/
> > kmenueditor --level=math_lab --add Konsole.desktop MyUtils/Shell/
> > kmenueditor --level=students_lab --add Konsole.desktop MyUtils/Shell/
>
> We can make it like:
>
> export KDEDIRS=/usr/local/kde:(distrib)/usr/kde/:(math_lab)/home/math/kde:(students)/home/students/kde:$HOME/.kde
>
> The first entry always defaults to (global), the last entry always \
> defaults to (local). Names are optional.
>
> (distrib) is reserved for distributions. E.g. third party packages should \
> install in (global), if it comes along with your distribution it should \
> install in (distrib).
> It's up to the distributors to come up with sensible paths for KDEDIRS.

Instead of having this 'level' you would prolly also want to be able to
specify the "base-path" directly...

Something like:
kmenueditor --kdedir=/usr/local/kde --add Konsole.desktop MyUtils/Shell/

Since a installation script will have installed Konsole.desktop somewhere
in /usr/local/kde/share/.... its much easier for this script to specify
to kmenueditor "/usr/local/kde" than it is to find out which "level" this
is supposed to be.

Could one of the RPM guru's coment on this? (Preston? >:)

Cheers,
Waldo
--
The "gui" in "Penguin" is pronounced "K-D-E"