List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KStdDirs, named levels.
From:       iglio () fub ! it (Pietro Iglio)
Date:       1999-07-23 14:00:55

At 15.42 23/07/99 +0200, you wrote:
>Pietro Iglio wrote:
>> >Have you thought about how apps should add themselves to the menu during
>> >installation? Up till now it was enough to put the .desktop file in the
>> >right directory.
>>
>> Using batch features of the menu editor (that I'll add).
>> For example, assuming that the .desktop files have been copied in the right
>> dir:
>>
>> kmenueditor --add Konsole.desktop MyUtils/Shell/
>> kmenueditor --remove Konsole.desktop MyUtils/Shell/
>> kmenueditor --move Konsole.desktop MyUtils/Shell/  MyUtils/
>>
>> If we introduce naming for levels (think about that!):
>>
>> kmenueditor --level=local --add Konsole.desktop MyUtils/Shell/
>> kmenueditor --level=global --add Konsole.desktop MyUtils/Shell/
>> kmenueditor --level=math_lab --add Konsole.desktop MyUtils/Shell/
>> kmenueditor --level=students_lab --add Konsole.desktop MyUtils/Shell/
>
>We can make it like:
>
>export
KDEDIRS=/usr/local/kde:(distrib)/usr/kde/:(math_lab)/home/math/kde:(students
)/home/students/kde:$HOME/.kde

>The first entry always defaults to (global), the last entry always
defaults to
>(local). Names are optional.
>
>(distrib) is reserved for distributions. E.g. third party packages should
install
>in (global), if it comes along with your distribution it should install in
(distrib).

>It's up to the distributors to come up with sensible paths for KDEDIRS.

Why not storing the level name in the level itself, e.g. in share/config/kderc

LevelName=math_lab

This way it is not user responsibility and, if you find a level on your
hard disk you can know the level name looking at the config file.

BTW: using level names could shorten the size of the kregistry file using
the level name instead of the complete pathname for config files.

>I would also like to make this info available via URLs.
>
>E.g. apps://localhost/MyUtils/Shell lists all installed shells of the
current user.
>     apps:/MyUtils/Shell does the same.
>     apps://distrib@localhost/MyUtils/Shell lists all shells as provided
by the
>distributor.
>     apps://local@localhost/MyUtils/Shell lists all shells made by the
user him/herself.

>Hm....
>
>Actually you want to be able to specify a username here as well...
>
>So that root can have a look at apps://bastian@localhost/MyUtils/Shell and
can
>see which shells I have installed.
>
>How to distinguish between a 'level'-name and a 'user'-name??

Hm... I would wait before complicating things too much.

-- Pietro