Waldo Bastian wrote: > > Pietro Iglio wrote: > > >Have you thought about how apps should add themselves to the menu during > > >installation? Up till now it was enough to put the .desktop file in the > > >right directory. > > > > Using batch features of the menu editor (that I'll add). > > For example, assuming that the .desktop files have been copied in the right > > dir: > > > > kmenueditor --add Konsole.desktop MyUtils/Shell/ > > kmenueditor --remove Konsole.desktop MyUtils/Shell/ > > kmenueditor --move Konsole.desktop MyUtils/Shell/ MyUtils/ > > > > If we introduce naming for levels (think about that!): > > > > kmenueditor --level=local --add Konsole.desktop MyUtils/Shell/ > > kmenueditor --level=global --add Konsole.desktop MyUtils/Shell/ > > kmenueditor --level=math_lab --add Konsole.desktop MyUtils/Shell/ > > kmenueditor --level=students_lab --add Konsole.desktop MyUtils/Shell/ > > We can make it like: > > export KDEDIRS=/usr/local/kde:(distrib)/usr/kde/:(math_lab)/home/math/kde:(students)/home/students/kde:$HOME/.kde > > The first entry always defaults to (global), the last entry always defaults to > (local). Names are optional. > > (distrib) is reserved for distributions. E.g. third party packages should install > in (global), if it comes along with your distribution it should install in (distrib). > > It's up to the distributors to come up with sensible paths for KDEDIRS. Instead of having this 'level' you would prolly also want to be able to specify the "base-path" directly... Something like: kmenueditor --kdedir=/usr/local/kde --add Konsole.desktop MyUtils/Shell/ Since a installation script will have installed Konsole.desktop somewhere in /usr/local/kde/share/.... its much easier for this script to specify to kmenueditor "/usr/local/kde" than it is to find out which "level" this is supposed to be. Could one of the RPM guru's coment on this? (Preston? >:) Cheers, Waldo -- The "gui" in "Penguin" is pronounced "K-D-E"