List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: RFC: new KPanel application menu
From:       iglio () fub ! it (Pietro Iglio)
Date:       1999-07-23 12:28:11

At 14.00 23/07/99 +0200, Waldo Bastian wrote:
>Pietro Iglio wrote:
>> I think that the described solution of having desktop files pointing to
>> other desktop files (if I have understood correctly) should be discarded.
>>
>> I'm already implementing the menurc stuff, and I've already tought about
the
>> problem of new entries in any non-local menu: kpanel will have a file-watch
>> mechanism to detect changes to any non-local menu. As soon as this happen,
>> kpanel invokes the merging algorithm I have written and will compute again
>> the set of applications listed in the menu.
>>
>> It seems to work so far and does not require to add any extra field to the
>> .desktop files.
>
>Ok. I think your solution is slightly cleaner since it doesn't rely on links
>which are always a bit confusing. It's also good that we don't have to touch
>the .desktop files since that will help with in the compatibility department.

That's the main reason I like your idea of separating applications objects
(desktop file) from menus.

>Have you thought about how apps should add themselves to the menu during
>installation? Up till now it was enough to put the .desktop file in the
>right directory.

Using batch features of the menu editor (that I'll add).
For example, assuming that the .desktop files have been copied in the right
dir:

kmenueditor --add Konsole.desktop MyUtils/Shell/
kmenueditor --remove Konsole.desktop MyUtils/Shell/
kmenueditor --move Konsole.desktop MyUtils/Shell/  MyUtils/

If we introduce naming for levels (think about that!):

kmenueditor --level=local --add Konsole.desktop MyUtils/Shell/
kmenueditor --level=global --add Konsole.desktop MyUtils/Shell/
kmenueditor --level=math_lab --add Konsole.desktop MyUtils/Shell/
kmenueditor --level=students_lab --add Konsole.desktop MyUtils/Shell/

-- Pietro