List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: RFC: new KPanel application menu
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () ens ! ascom ! ch>
Date:       1999-07-23 12:00:24

Pietro Iglio wrote:
> I think that the described solution of having desktop files pointing to
> other desktop files (if I have understood correctly) should be discarded.
>
> I'm already implementing the menurc stuff, and I've already tought about the
> problem of new entries in any non-local menu: kpanel will have a file-watch
> mechanism to detect changes to any non-local menu. As soon as this happen,
> kpanel invokes the merging algorithm I have written and will compute again
> the set of applications listed in the menu.
>
> It seems to work so far and does not require to add any extra field to the
> .desktop files.

Ok. I think your solution is slightly cleaner since it doesn't rely on links
which are always a bit confusing. It's also good that we don't have to touch
the .desktop files since that will help with in the compatibility department.

Have you thought about how apps should add themselves to the menu during
installation? Up till now it was enough to put the .desktop file in the
right directory.

Cheers,
Waldo
--
The "gui" in "Penguin" is pronounced "K-D-E"