List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: DND in kpanel (was Re: RFC: new KPanel application menu)
From:       Stefan van den Oord <s.m.vandenoord () student ! utwente ! nl>
Date:       1999-07-14 14:59:40

On Wed, 14 Jul 1999, Pietro Iglio wrote:
> There is already a threshold, but it is not enough. If you forget that
> DND is enabled and start moving in the menu with the mouse button down
> (occasionally I do that, and I guess other users do the same), the drag
> starts anyway. Yes, you can stop the accidental drag pressing the middle
> button, but it is annoying and not for beginners.
>
> Since it seems that most of you don't like the "use middle button" option,
> and I don't like the idea of disabling DND by default, the "use shift + left
> button to drag in the menu" option (suggested by Preston) is the best in
> my opinion.
>
> I know that using an extra key for DND is not in the UI guidelines, but
> I prefer a solution that is a bit incoherent, but less annoying. Note that
> latest MS systems have the same problem we are discussing.

How standard is it that ESC interrupts such an operation? I use it
frequently to cancel drags, but honestly I don't know if that is on
Windows or on Linux as well...
Anyway, if it works ALWAYS, I think pressing ESC during a drag is a
good way to cancel it, isn't it?

--
Stefan van den Oord
s.m.vandenoord@student.utwente.nl