List:       kde-devel
Subject:    DND in kpanel (was Re: RFC: new KPanel application menu)
From:       iglio () fub ! it (Pietro Iglio)
Date:       1999-07-14 14:56:35

At 16.36 14/07/99 +0200, you wrote:
>pbrown@redhat.com wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, 14 Jul 1999, Pietro Iglio wrote:
>>
>> > I already tought about that. DND in the k-menu is very useful,
>> > but a nightmare for beginners. I would add an extra option
>> > "Use middle button to drag in the K-menu". What do you think?
>>
>> Not in favor.  I would rather use the left mouse button plus some key
>> modifier to indicate a drag.  Middle mouse button *NEVER* means drag
>> anywhere else.
>
>Can't we introduce some kind of treshold to prevent accidental drags?
>(Like a minimum drag distance and/or time before a drop is allowed?)
>
>I myself have been accidently dragging my mail-folders in netscape
>to another place about 3 times this year. This is indeed kind of
>annoying.

There is already a threshold, but it is not enough. If you forget that
DND is enabled and start moving in the menu with the mouse button down
(occasionally I do that, and I guess other users do the same), the drag
starts anyway. Yes, you can stop the accidental drag pressing the middle
button, but it is annoying and not for beginners.

Since it seems that most of you don't like the "use middle button" option,
and I don't like the idea of disabling DND by default, the "use shift + left
button to drag in the menu" option (suggested by Preston) is the best in
my opinion.

I know that using an extra key for DND is not in the UI guidelines, but
I prefer a solution that is a bit incoherent, but less annoying. Note that
latest MS systems have the same problem we are discussing.

-- Pietro