List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: cleaning up kdesupport for KDE 1(.1).2, KDE 2.0
From:       John Corey <whoop () mtco ! com>
Date:       1999-07-12 17:12:57

pbrown@redhat.com wrote:

> I move that we clean a few libraries out of kdesupport for the next
> releases of KDE.  Namely:
>
> gdbm - this is a GPL library that cannot be used at all for commercial
> application development, and I don't think any KDE applications are using
> it.  If there is even just 1 application using it, it should distribute it
> by itself, rather than encouraging its use.

The GPL's a fine license, I don't see why we should banish GPL libs.
After all, kdesupport is just support libs, not part of KDE itself.
Commercial developers are free to use/not use these.  If it isn't used,
sure go ahead and axe it.

> jpeglib6a - is this still needed? If so, by what?
>
> js - is this javascript library used / will it be used?  I know it isn't
> right now, and there may be a better implementation anyway.

I tried configuring with this recently, it gave a warning suggesting you
use another js library.  So, perhaps we either put that other one in?
Configure pointed to something like www.ngs.fi if I recall correctly,
but at the time that wasn't resolving...