List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KPANEL (Re: kde-1.1.2 issues)
From:       iglio () fub ! it (Pietro Iglio)
Date:       1999-07-04 15:37:55

At 22.46 02/07/99 -0400, Cristian Tibirna wrote:
>On Sat, 3 Jul 1999, Rolf Offermanns wrote:
>
>> OK, i know this way. But what if the app is not in my K Menu?
>
>The way kpanel functions now requires that the link in the panel be a
>physically real (or at least a symbolic link to a) kdelnk file. This file
>must be present in $KDEDIR/share/applnk/*, $HOME/.kde/share/applnk/* or
>$HOME/Desktop (or whatever place your desktop directory is put in).
>
>I must acknowledge that it occured to me to think that it's annoyingly
>easy to put a desktop link on the panel, delete the link from the desktop
>and discover that the corresponding one in the panel doesn't work anymore.
>
>A solution (Pietro?) would be to adopt what windows does: a special
>directory for the panel links (and copy the links from their original
>place at the moment the user drops them on the panel).

The standard locations for kdelnk files are $KDEDIR/share/applnk/* and
$HOME/.kde/share/applnk/*. New applications should be created there and
then added to the panel.
If a button is added/removed, only a reference to the desktop file is
added/removed. Instead of creating icons on the desktop, I suggest the
following: open a KFM window, menu Edit -> Applications and create the
application there.

An incoming feature of Kpanel2 will be: right-click on the application menu
-> select "New Application" from the context menu. A new .kdelnk file is
created and the application editor is run. This feature, along with
drag'n'drop between menu items, will make the menu editor useless
(hope this doesn't hurt you, Christoph).

Eventually, I can also add "New application" to the kpanel context menu: a
new application is created in $HOME/.kde/share/applnk/ and a button is
added to the panel automatically. What do you think?

-- Pietro