List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE 2.0 Screensavers
From:       Martin Jones <mjones () powerup ! com ! au>
Date:       1999-07-04 6:52:48

Cristian Tibirna wrote:

> On Sun, 4 Jul 1999, Martin Jones wrote:
>
> [snip excellent report and list of ideas about new ss engine]
>
> Q: how do you handle the config of each hack? Current modules have very
> nice config dialogs.

The KDE "hacks" will include their own config dialogs as they do
now, so klines.kss -setup will allow you to configure it.

The xscreensaver hacks will be trickier.  We can probably use
a single program to configure all xscreensaver hacks since
they seem to share the same basic parameters.  Does the
.desktop spec include a "config=xxx" parameter?  Actually,
it may be wise to provide a special entry for screen savers
since they require the Id of the window to run in.

For KDE programs you would have:

[Desktop Entry]
Exec=klines.kss                     # demo mode
Exec-config=klines.kss -setup       # setup
Exec-SS=klines.kss -window-id %w    # in window

For xscreensaver hacks:

[Desktop Entry]
Exec=bsod                           # demo mode
Exec-config=kxsconfig               # setup
Exec-SS=bsod -window-id %w          # in window

Of course Exec-SS and possibly Exec-Config would be specific
to the KDE screensavers, but is there a problem with adding
extensions to a .desktop file provided it still provides all
the basic fields?

> > I propose using *.desktop files to describe available hacks.  I
> > would like to put them in $KDEDIR/share/applnk/Screensavers but
> > they would be displayed in the K menu, which is really quite
> > pointless (perhaps the config dialog, or a demonstration could
> > be launched).  Where else could they be placed?
>
> I don't remember if KConfig/^Kmenu-engine had already a feature similar to
> what Preston advertised while working on common .desktop standard
> with Gnome: Gnome has a "don't show in menu" entry in the .desktop file.
> Would this be useful enough to hack in?

Yes, definately.  Who knows, some people may choose to have them
in their ^Kmenu since they run in demo mode if provided no
parameters.

> Is it feasible to build in the screensaver engine a general config parser
> (which would know how to build nice dialogs) and then put
> config-parseable-info in the corresponding .desktop files?

I don't think this is necessary.  KDE hacks include their own
dialogs.  A single program can configure the xscreensaver hacks.

> > I would like to commit my current implementation soon if no one
> > objects.  Unfortunately, the control center tab will require a
> > minor rewrite, and the existing screensavers must be stripped
> > down a little.  So if I commit this, for a while you will only
> > have a black screen for a screen saver.  Is this a problem for
> > anyone?
> >

> OK from me if you thought about the config dialogs issue.

I have.  For KDE hacks its a no-brainer.  Some more work
may be needed for external hacks, such as xscreensaver,
but its a pretty minor problem.

bye,

--
Martin Jones