Cristian Tibirna wrote: > > On Sun, 4 Jul 1999, Martin Jones wrote: > > [snip excellent report and list of ideas about new ss engine] > > Q: how do you handle the config of each hack? Current modules have very > nice config dialogs. The KDE "hacks" will include their own config dialogs as they do now, so klines.kss -setup will allow you to configure it. The xscreensaver hacks will be trickier. We can probably use a single program to configure all xscreensaver hacks since they seem to share the same basic parameters. Does the .desktop spec include a "config=xxx" parameter? Actually, it may be wise to provide a special entry for screen savers since they require the Id of the window to run in. For KDE programs you would have: [Desktop Entry] Exec=klines.kss # demo mode Exec-config=klines.kss -setup # setup Exec-SS=klines.kss -window-id %w # in window For xscreensaver hacks: [Desktop Entry] Exec=bsod # demo mode Exec-config=kxsconfig # setup Exec-SS=bsod -window-id %w # in window Of course Exec-SS and possibly Exec-Config would be specific to the KDE screensavers, but is there a problem with adding extensions to a .desktop file provided it still provides all the basic fields? > > I propose using *.desktop files to describe available hacks. I > > would like to put them in $KDEDIR/share/applnk/Screensavers but > > they would be displayed in the K menu, which is really quite > > pointless (perhaps the config dialog, or a demonstration could > > be launched). Where else could they be placed? > > I don't remember if KConfig/^Kmenu-engine had already a feature similar to > what Preston advertised while working on common .desktop standard > with Gnome: Gnome has a "don't show in menu" entry in the .desktop file. > Would this be useful enough to hack in? Yes, definately. Who knows, some people may choose to have them in their ^Kmenu since they run in demo mode if provided no parameters. > Is it feasible to build in the screensaver engine a general config parser > (which would know how to build nice dialogs) and then put > config-parseable-info in the corresponding .desktop files? I don't think this is necessary. KDE hacks include their own dialogs. A single program can configure the xscreensaver hacks. > > I would like to commit my current implementation soon if no one > > objects. Unfortunately, the control center tab will require a > > minor rewrite, and the existing screensavers must be stripped > > down a little. So if I commit this, for a while you will only > > have a black screen for a screen saver. Is this a problem for > > anyone? > > > > OK from me if you thought about the config dialogs issue. I have. For KDE hacks its a no-brainer. Some more work may be needed for external hacks, such as xscreensaver, but its a pretty minor problem. bye, -- Martin Jones mjones@kde.org