List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE 2.0 Screensavers
From:       Cristian Tibirna <ctibirna () total ! net>
Date:       1999-07-04 3:28:21

On Sun, 4 Jul 1999, Martin Jones wrote:

[snip excellent report and list of ideas about new ss engine]

Q: how do you handle the config of each hack? Current modules have very
nice config dialogs.

> I propose using *.desktop files to describe available hacks.  I
> would like to put them in $KDEDIR/share/applnk/Screensavers but
> they would be displayed in the K menu, which is really quite
> pointless (perhaps the config dialog, or a demonstration could
> be launched).  Where else could they be placed?

I don't remember if KConfig/^Kmenu-engine had already a feature similar to
what Preston advertised while working on common .desktop standard
with Gnome: Gnome has a "don't show in menu" entry in the .desktop file.
Would this be useful enough to hack in?

Is it feasible to build in the screensaver engine a general config parser
(which would know how to build nice dialogs) and then put
config-parseable-info in the corresponding .desktop files?

> I would like to commit my current implementation soon if no one
> objects.  Unfortunately, the control center tab will require a
> minor rewrite, and the existing screensavers must be stripped
> down a little.  So if I commit this, for a while you will only
> have a black screen for a screen saver.  Is this a problem for
> anyone?

OK from me if you thought about the config dialogs issue.

Cristian