List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Proposal for a new application - GOFAI-WMT
From:       Lotzi Boloni <boloni () cs ! purdue ! edu>
Date:       1999-07-02 18:18:27

> Semantic net, right ?
> Actually, I just finished my studies of AI, so I might know what you're talking
> about :-)
>
> Seriously :
> I would say that this could be an app that cooperates with apps like
> knotes, kab and konqueror. Imagine that you're viewing some note in knotes.
> You would select something like "Show associations" and your app would start and
> show the graph which connects to the specified note ( the note would be
> highlighted ). Thus you would get a picture of what's connected / relevant to
> this note ( files, other notes, entries in addressbook etc. )

  Exactly these are the things what I was thinking about. For example you
can put alarms on certain nodes, so that appears at that given
moment and pops up that part of the net, with the given links to persons,
reminders, documents etc. Then a
click on it brings up korganizer or kpim, or click on a person and brings
up the address stuff. I think it is doable for individual files, but it
should be tricky for things which are records in a database like file -
for example addresses or appointments.

> Some time ago there was a talk about putting files into the databases, thus
> allowing additional attributes ( like "picture of Hawaii" etc. )
> I guess that this would go together with your proposal very well.

> However, such a project needs cooperation of developers of other apps. IMO
> CORBA / KOM would be very useful for this.
>
> I could imagine an app that uses OpenParts for this. User clicks on parts of
> the semantic net ( representing e.g. image ), and app would embed image
> viewer. Similarly, clicking on note would embed editor.

  Well this is why I was asking what is the interest towards this. I've
never programmed KOM.

            Lotzi