List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: localkdedir, kde_appsdir() obsolete...
From:       Harri Porten <porten () tu-harburg ! de>
Date:       1999-07-02 18:14:40

John Corey wrote:

> > Hm. Well.. You can get findAllResources() (Something like that)
> > to get all applinks (local + global). Then you might still need
> > a way to find out if an entry is local or global.

Or findDirs(). But you're right. If a programmer really wants to
differentiate between local and global dirs the solution isn't optimal
yet.

> > Please be aware that in KDE2.0 a user can have multiple levels
> > of globalness e.g global / group / local.
> >
> > If you lookup all entries with "findAllResources" you could
> > do a locateLocal("applink", "") (or whatever name is used to
> > identify "share/applnk", see kstddirs.cpp) which should return
> > ~/.kde/share/applnk". You could then do a match to see which
> > entry belongs where.
>
> Is a locate/loateLocal with an empty string for the second argument
> legal?

locate() and locateLocal() are just easy-to-use wrappers. For the above
problem he should rather user getSaveLocation() directly whose seconde
parameter defaults to QString::null.

>  Also, I've wondered if directories like pics, say in the appdata
> area (like /opt/kde/share/apps/<whatever>/pics), is searched when using
> the type "icon" for locate?

I haven't checked but I'm afraid it won't work that way. You'd have to
check the sources to be sure. However, every programmer is free to add
(addResourceDir ?) more paths during execution.

Harri.