List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Proposal for a new application - GOFAI-WMT
From:       Matt Koss <koss () napri ! sk>
Date:       1999-07-02 15:37:37

On Fri, 02 Jul 1999, Lotzi Boloni wrote:
>Hi everybody
>
>  In the recent days I was working on an application which essentially
>implements a visually browsable conceptual graph. The idea is that the
>node's have some meaning (name, notes, links to web, links to files and
>maybe embedded data like todos, addresses, appointments etc), and than
>these things are linked together with links like "is-a", "reminds-me-of",
>"implies" etc., also user defined ones.

Semantic net, right ?
Actually, I just finished my studies of AI, so I might know what you're talking
about :-)

Seriously :
I would say that this could be an app that cooperates with apps like
knotes, kab and konqueror. Imagine that you're viewing some note in knotes.
You would select something like "Show associations" and your app would start and
show the graph which connects to the specified note ( the note would be
highlighted ). Thus you would get a picture of what's connected / relevant to
this note ( files, other notes, entries in addressbook etc. )

Similarly this would work in kab or konqueror ( for files or database entries ).

Some time ago there was a talk about putting files into the databases, thus
allowing additional attributes ( like "picture of Hawaii" etc. )
I guess that this would go together with your proposal very well.

However, such a project needs cooperation of developers of other apps. IMO
CORBA / KOM would be very useful for this.

I could imagine an app that uses OpenParts for this. User clicks on parts of
the semantic net ( representing e.g. image ), and app would embed image
viewer. Similarly, clicking on note would embed editor.

The possibilities are endless, so go on Lotzi ! Wish you luck with this !

    Ciao

		Matt

--
Matej Koss	e-mail: koss@napri.sk