List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE RPM's for Redhat 6.0
From:       Troy Engel <tengel () sonic ! net>
Date:       1999-07-02 2:02:35

Hetz Ben Hamo wrote:

> Since when the last time you looked at ftp.kde.org and saw the RPM
> version for 6.0? There aren't any, nor a readme file that says Redhat
> release 1.1.1 in their updates.redhat.com FTP site..

I was saying, though, that the existing 5.2 RPMs are working fine once
you get 'em installed. :)

> If a user want to recompile KDE 1.1.1 from the generic sources, he will
> have to un-install it from the Redhat 6.0 - I invite you to try that
> (using gnorpm). Be prepared to press zillion times the Enter key for the
> message "file not found", and the user must setup the enviroment with
> the KDEDIR etc.. so it's quite a lot of work...

Sometimes using a GUI is just the wrong way to go about it.  I did it at
the last installfest in under 5 minutes for a guy, using simple "rpm
-qa|sort>file.txt" and sending the KDE rpms through rpm -e --nodeps.
Boom, rpm -i the ftp.kde.org rpms, all done (KDEDIR is already set then,
just a simple 'usekde' away).

> Your rant is totally justified. I really don't know why they select to
> put it on /usr. I know one of the developers here (I forgot his name) is
> an engineer in Redhat. Would he please be kind to take the issue to the
> programmers (or whoever makes those RPM's) in Redhat and ask them to
> STOP doing this?

From what I understand this is part of the FHS to try and have common
locations for all the apps.  Herein lies most likely the meat of the
matter...

> Fine. Don't support. But make sure you do the following things:
>
> 1. Issue a Redhat 6.0 RPM's
> 2. In the Redhat 6.0 installation script - remove all the old KDE
> 1.1.1pre2 from the redhat installation from the /usr dir..

Heh, wrong guy -- I'm a 3rd party packager, I don't work on the official
distribs at all.

-te

--
Troy Engel