List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE RPM's for Redhat 6.0
From:       Hetz Ben Hamo <hetz () cobol2java ! com>
Date:       1999-07-01 17:01:10

> As a packager, my thoughts go even beyond this simple point.  First, the
> KDE 1.1.1 official RPMs work just fine on Redhat 6.0; just uninstall all
> their crap and run an install of all the files off the KDE FTP site --
> it's been working fine for me, outside the few standard bugs.  If
> needed, you can --rebuild to get any glibc2.1 issues worked out.

Since when the last time you looked at ftp.kde.org and saw the RPM
version for 6.0? There aren't any, nor a readme file that says Redhat
release 1.1.1 in their updates.redhat.com FTP site..

If a user want to recompile KDE 1.1.1 from the generic sources, he will
have to un-install it from the Redhat 6.0 - I invite you to try that
(using gnorpm). Be prepared to press zillion times the Enter key for the
message "file not found", and the user must setup the enviroment with
the KDEDIR etc.. so it's quite a lot of work...

> [soap box mode on]
> Now, what I disagree with is Redhat's decision to use /usr as the prefix
> for all their packages; the KDE team decided a long time ago to use
> /opt/kde, and 3rd party packagers like myself (http://kde.tdyc.com) have
> packaged dozens of apps using this same prefix and schema, keeping with
> the faith.  Now along comes 6.0 and they decide to make the KDE prefix
> something else -- what good did you just accomplish, Redhat? A
> prerelease version was shipped and now even those people can't easily
> upgrade to the new official packages. RANT RANT RANT.

Your rant is totally justified. I really don't know why they select to
put it on /usr. I know one of the developers here (I forgot his name) is
an engineer in Redhat. Would he please be kind to take the issue to the
programmers (or whoever makes those RPM's) in Redhat and ask them to
STOP doing this?

> On my end, I am refusing to support their /usr scheme directly.  All my
> packages (well, at least most - I try) are defaulted to /opt/kde but can
> be relocated to /usr if the person wishes.  However, most people who
> contact me (and I see on the newsgroups, at a recent InstallFest, etc) I
> recommend the uninstall Redhat rpms and install the official stuff.  Oh
> look, problems solved. Humph.
> [soap box mode off]

Fine. Don't support. But make sure you do the following things:

1. Issue a Redhat 6.0 RPM's
2. In the Redhat 6.0 installation script - remove all the old KDE
1.1.1pre2 from the redhat installation from the /usr dir..

> I feel that the core packaging team stick with how they've been doing
> it, and Redhat's scheme be damned.  Who runs KDE anyway, us or them?
> (hehehe, or 17 guys named Matthias or Stefan...) <g>

You'll be REALLY surprised to know how many people running it on a PC's
running Linux, and on some SUN's, AIX, and even SGI machines.. It's a
fantastic product!

Hetz