List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: ANNOUNCE: Heading for KDE 1.1.2 release (Week 4)
From:       "Brian Jones" <brianj () corel ! ca>
Date:       1999-06-22 17:54:24

Ralf Nolden wrote:

> Kurt Granroth wrote:
> >
> > Sorry, but I completely disagree that kapptemplate and kexample are
> > "obsolete".  You are making a HUGE assumption with that statement -- that all
> > developers will want to use KDevelop.  Now as nice as it is (and KDevelop is
> > *by far* the best IDE I've seen on Unix), that still will never be the case.
> > MOST developers still use the standard vi/emacs setup and would never touch a
> > GUI IDE no matter *how* good it was.  kapptemplate and kexample are tools for
> > those people...
>
> Ok, this was probably the wrong word choice...
>
> I didn't want to imply by this statement that there should or that there
> are no other ways to develop KDE software; and kdoc is definitely a
> separate independent program. My thoughts were directing into creating a
> new package like kdeutils where a lot of apps are collected under one
> hood indicating that there is a certain purpose all applications of the
> package share.
>
> Now, the thing is this ( to make myself clearer than in the last mail):
>
> KDE itself has the KDE-SDK as a package with the most needed software
> for development, but the SDK is apparently not distributed as e.g. an
> rpm package (I may be wrong here as well, but I got my first version of
> the KDE-SDK from the ftp snapshots, not from my SuSE distribution).
>
> Someone who wants to install KDE by his distribution expects that when
> he installs a kde-devel.rpm or whatsoever package and gets the
> information that it contains all he needs for KDE development including
> an IDE and a Debugger, that this really is the case. Therefore I thought
> that this package should contain at least copies of KDoc, ksgml2html and
> ktranslator to make it complete at least on the KDE side; the rest that
> is needed such as the compiler, Qt online-reference, make etc is
> available on the system (or the distribution) anyway.
>
> Let me ask something: If you were a beginner, and I speak of absolute
> beginners, and you want to start contributing to KDE by developing
> software, you have to search for the information on the net first and
> collect everything together. A KDE-Developer package to allow even
> beginners a comfortable start, it needs to be used as easy as possible;
> therefore if I were a beginner, I would expect a complete package, and
> if I hit difficulties I would think, hey, KDE still needs time to be
> ready for the desktop !!
>
> Conclusion:
>
> create a package containing:
>
> -KDevelop
> -KDbg
> -KTranslator
> -KDoc
> -KSgml2Html
> -A set of HTML documentation of the KDE-1.1.2 libs (we would adapt the
> kdeveloprc file to ensure it is found on kdevelop setup and installed
> correctly)
>
> All programs from the KDE-SDK are included as copies of the SDK.

> [...]

I Don't agree.  I think that there should be at least two packages.
This means more flexibility in what you have to install.  Here are
my suggestions for packages.

1) Development-SDK package which consists of source code,
     source / API documentation, and example code.

2) Development-Tool package which consists of KDevelop,
     KDbg, KTranslator, KDoc, KSgml2Html.

Actually, the development tools should also be available in separate
packages as well.  Many developers would like to choose which
tools to install and which ones are not needed.  For example, I
would probably choose not to install KDevelop since I use the Visual
Slickedit IDE for development.  Other people I know use the new
Code Warrior IDE.

Brian Jones