List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Mail headers: advice needed.
From:       Sven Radej <sven () lisa ! exp ! univie ! ac ! at>
Date:       1999-06-18 14:19:01

On Fri, 18 Jun 1999, Waldo Bastian wrote:
(... This is about making References header for reply messages in kmail this
    way: new References: = original "In-Reply-To" + original "References:"
)
>> This makes it easy to keep related messages together. (E.g. build a thread).
>> But this could also make mails huge. Imagine big threads on kde-devel each mail
>> would contain tons of References headers. Do we want this?
>
>Not really :)
>
>> While I can add reference texts to that header I wouldn't like to add
>> complicated "keep only first ten-or-so references" code there (at least not in
>> 1.1 branch).
>
>Just don't put in any Reference headers then.

Hmm... typical reference is ~30-100 bytes after 100 replies this
would enlarge header 1000 bytes; 1000 replies would make 10k; 10k is big
(especially if body is just "Me too")

This could make sense only for people who
a) archive all messages from mailing lists and have mail readers who can search
their mailboxes (kmail can't)

b) for mailing-list www archives (I think they use this)

What do others think?  Corel guys, how do you feel about it?

>Well, being able to ask questions like this is what open source is about.
>Don't feel sorry.
OK, as you see I am continuing :-)
--
Sven Radej      radej@kde.org