List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KURL bugs
From:       Nicolas Brodu <nicolas_brodu () HP-France-om17 ! om ! hp ! com>
Date:       1999-06-17 11:05:06

garbanzo@hooked.net wrote:
> > > In KDE, file URLs are formed without two forward slashes following
> > > "file:".
> > > That is, a local file named "/mnt" will be represented as "file:/mnt"
> > > in KDE as opposed to a correct "file:////mnt" or
> > > "file://localhost//mnt".
> >
> > Well, I don't have the RFC handy, but I'm sure it allows file:/mnt too
> > as I've read it twice :)
>
> Well, Netscape allows file:/mnt, but not file:/.  Also, file://mnt does
> not seem to work.  So, I really see no problem with allowing something
> that seems much more logical (since you're usually not specifying a
> hostname for a local file system.

IIRC, the RFC stated that a URL was basically <scheme>:<scheme part> and
then proposed "standard schemes".
IMO, the "file" protocol introduced in the RFC was adapted for accessing
files over the internet, but this shouldn't prevent us from making our
own file "scheme", much more adapted to local files.
Anyway, why not accept both file:/localFile and
file://localhost/localFile ?

[snip]

> This is not Windows.  Repeat ten times.
>
> I'm not quite sure how to state this, but:
>
> * What Windows does WRT UNC and "regular" filenames is just annoying as
> hell, and really inconsistant.  Sure, it may feel more like windows if
> KURL is hacked up to support "true" UNC paths, but this just perpetuates
> another level of needless confusion on the user.
>
> * Since there appears to be special handling for any URI with the file
> protocol, and since UNC paths won't often be local files (if at all), it
> would be best (IMO) to either use //host/path and use the protocol "unc"
> or "smb".

I fully agree with Alex on this point.

Last time I played with KURL I made it accept both smb://host/share/...
and smb:/host/share/... because we discussed it previously. Once more,
the scheme part associated with a protocol is protocol-dependant, but
for this case smb:/ was introduced to look like file:/ !
Note : about smb://, last time I checked it was accepted by KURL but
something else refused it (error sent back to kio_smb). So smb:/ was
useful for developping as well.

I also tried to hack what the user types in the location bar to convert
'\\anything' into 'smb://anything' and all other '\' into '/' if any, in
the same URL. This enables users to use samba's syntax and KURL
RFC-compliant.

Right now, I'm short on time so cannot work on this. Please go on with
any changes that you feel relevant.

Cheers,

Nicolas Brodu, brodu@iie.cnam.fr
Eleve-Ingenieur 2eme annee (Institut d'Informatique d'Entreprise)
  http://www-eleves.iie.cnam.fr/brodu (libsmb)
KDE developer, brodu@kde.org
  http://www.kde.org, Color outside the lines !