List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KURL bugs
From:       Dawit Alemayehu <adawit () earthlink ! net>
Date:       1999-06-17 20:52:16

On Thu, 17 Jun 1999, Waldo Bastian wrote:
>> IIRC, the RFC stated that a URL was basically <scheme>:<scheme part> and
>> then proposed "standard schemes".
>> IMO, the "file" protocol introduced in the RFC was adapted for accessing
>> files over the internet, but this shouldn't prevent us from making our
>> own file "scheme", much more adapted to local files.
>> Anyway, why not accept both file:/localFile and
>> file://localhost/localFile ?

> We should. I would also like to accept

> file://some_host_name/path/filename and then map it (based on configuration)
> to either
>  smb://some_host_name/path/filename
> or
>  nfs://some_host_name/path/filename.
> or
>   file://some_host_name/path/filename
>  (but with "//some_host_name/path/filename" ending up in the path)

But how does one then determine what should be mapped to what ?  What
configuration is this going to be based on ? IMHO this is out of scope of the
KURL class.  I will rather needlessly complicate this class.  If you are may be
talking about a specialized helper class, then perhaps it is possible.

Regards,
Dawit A.