List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KURL bugs
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () ens ! ascom ! ch>
Date:       1999-06-17 10:20:41

Nicolas Brodu wrote:

> > > Well, I don't have the RFC handy, but I'm sure it allows file:/mnt too
> > > as I've read it twice :)
> >
> > Well, Netscape allows file:/mnt, but not file:/.  Also, file://mnt does
> > not seem to work.  So, I really see no problem with allowing something
> > that seems much more logical (since you're usually not specifying a
> > hostname for a local file system.
> >

> IIRC, the RFC stated that a URL was basically <scheme>:<scheme part> and
> then proposed "standard schemes".
> IMO, the "file" protocol introduced in the RFC was adapted for accessing
> files over the internet, but this shouldn't prevent us from making our
> own file "scheme", much more adapted to local files.
> Anyway, why not accept both file:/localFile and
> file://localhost/localFile ?

We should. I would also like to accept

file://some_host_name/path/filename and then map it (based on configuration)
to either
  smb://some_host_name/path/filename
or
  nfs://some_host_name/path/filename.
or
  file://some_host_name/path/filename
  (but with "//some_host_name/path/filename" ending up in the path)

Which is usefull when the system's "open()" call understands what is meant with
"//some_host_name/path/filename". (I believe some automounters use this)

(Ming: Is this the case with your UNC paths?)

Cheers,
Waldo
--
KDE, A New Millenium, A New Desktop                      http://www.kde.org