List:       kde-devel
Subject:    RE: ODBC in kdesupport?
From:       "Peter Harvey" <pharvey () codebydesign ! com>
Date:       1999-06-09 12:52:04

> What is the impact for applications if iodbc is changed for unixodbc?

In theory, iODBC and the unixODBC DM are interchangeable. However; some
differences exist. The primary difference is that iODBC uses non-standard
include files.... in name, if not, in content. Also; I think unixODBC uses
more up-to-date include files in terms of the ODBC level supported.

I would like to promote the use of unixODBC from the start. I started
unixODBC with KDE in mind from the start. People here may recall that I
started a discussion like this several times over the last 5 or 6 months.

For example;

1. unixODBC has a wider scope of functionality which, I hope, mirrors what
is needed in KDE. I am referring to the GUI tools, DM. install helper,
system info lib etc

2. unixODBC target platforms are exactly the same. Developement is on Linux
and some people are using it on Solaris. The mandate is UNIX.

All of this was done to provide a complete solution within KDE at some
point. I, personnaly, would be quite dissappointed if unixODBC was not
adopted by KDE in favour of iODBC.

Any technical reasons why we should not use unixODBC in KDE can be quickly
addressed. For example; if it is an issue with the unixODBC distribution
being too large then we can break out key parts like the DM (the plan was to
do this a little further down the road). If its is a question of a lack of
functionality in unixODBC then the unixODBC team of developers will ensure
that it gets done... although I think unixODBC is actually far more
functional than iODBC.... including supporting a higher ODBC complience
level.

I think it became apparent, the last time this issue was raised, that ODBC
should make its way into KDE. The problem is that noone really wanted to do
it. So I would like to suggest to Lars that he, I and perhaps oters tackle
the job of getting ODBC config into the control center and getting some sort
of data manager into the distribution.

???

Peter Harvey

BTW: I think that the Data Manager can have ODBC config function in it... I
think that they could share some of this code and then have just the config
function in the control center (for more novice users).