List:       kde-devel
Subject:    To make your program work well with non-Latin1 letters,
From:       Woohyun JANG <louis () mizi ! co ! kr>
Date:       1999-06-09 3:50:18

I modified a few programs to work well with Korean letters. and then I found
a common problem that broke Korean(I think it is similar to other letters that
use 8bit.) letters. :(

1. convert QString to char *.

   As warwick said before, If you use it once, it's like sticking fork
   into someone's eye(who use a non-Latin1 letters)

   Use QString itself. If you have to convert QString to char *, use
   QString::local8Bit() function like the following.
   (If you are sure there isn't any 8bit character in string, you don't
    need to use QString::local8Bit())

   QString a;

   char *temp;
   temp=(char *)a.local8Bit();

2. convert char * to QString.

   QString::QString(char *, ...) works well only with Latin1 letters.

   QString::fromLocal8Bit(char *) works well with Latin1 and non-Latin1
   letters. (It depends on a current locale)

   char *buf = "some string";
   QString qstr = QString::fromLocal8Bit(buf);

Anyway I can see Korean letters in menu, tootip, kwm's title bar, and kpanel's
task bar. And I make kfiledialog to work well with file and directory that
it's name is Korean.

Here is a screen shot.  <http://terri.mizi.co.kr/kde/notes/>

Regards,
--