I modified a few programs to work well with Korean letters. and then I found a common problem that broke Korean(I think it is similar to other letters that use 8bit.) letters. :( 1. convert QString to char *. As warwick said before, If you use it once, it's like sticking fork into someone's eye(who use a non-Latin1 letters) Use QString itself. If you have to convert QString to char *, use QString::local8Bit() function like the following. (If you are sure there isn't any 8bit character in string, you don't need to use QString::local8Bit()) QString a; ... char *temp; temp=(char *)a.local8Bit(); 2. convert char * to QString. QString::QString(char *, ...) works well only with Latin1 letters. QString::fromLocal8Bit(char *) works well with Latin1 and non-Latin1 letters. (It depends on a current locale) char *buf = "some string"; QString qstr = QString::fromLocal8Bit(buf); Anyway I can see Korean letters in menu, tootip, kwm's title bar, and kpanel's task bar. And I make kfiledialog to work well with file and directory that it's name is Korean. Here is a screen shot. Regards, -- Woohyun JANG, louis@mizi.co.kr MIZI Research, Inc.