List:       kde-devel
Subject:    CORBA server and client for wordnet
From:       Daniel Naber <dnaber () mini ! gt ! owl ! de>
Date:       1999-06-07 18:57:17

Hi,

I just hacked together some stuff for a CORBA client and server for
wordnet. Wordnet is an "online lexical reference system". Just think
of it as some kind of dictionary with less explanations but more
information like word familiarity, synonyms etc.

Now I´d like to know (from our CORBA experts) if this concept is a
good idea or if I´m on the wrong track (the arrows just mean "uses"):

Wordnet C API
^

kwordnet_corba_server   <-- any (non-KDE) CORBA app
^

kwordnet
^

any KDE app

What I´ve written (well, started with) are corba_kwordnet_server and
kwordnet. corba_kwordnet_server should be accessible by any CORBA
app, not only by KDE apps. kwordnet is a GUI app that lets the user
query for words. It should be available as a standalone app and it
should be accessible by other KDE apps. Now I wonder if it makes
sense to implement kwordnet as a "Part", like KImage and the other
KOffice parts? I guess nobody really wants to embed a wordnet
frontend (at least not the way you embed an image).

Is it already possible with kded to use CORBA services on remote
machines? (BTW, I´m currently not using kded at all, but the ´get id
from file´ hack as shown in the mico documentation).

I´d like to hear your comments. Just in case you think this app is
boring and nobody needs it: You´re wrong :-) It might actually become
quite cool, because
a) CORBA really makes sense here (no big dictionary on your local
machine)
b) maybe the same concept can be used for a CORBA based spellchecker?

If you´d like to help, the most important thing I need (and I can´t
do that) is a working ./configure.

If you´re curious and don´t mind code that´s a total mess, you
can download it at
http://mini.gt.owl.de/~dnaber/kwordnet/kwordnet-0.1.tar.gz (360 kb,
but it´s actually only few lines of code. glibc2.0 binaries are
included). Requirements: KDE 1.1, Qt 1.4x, mico 2.2.6 (2.2.3 might
work), wordnet (http://www.cogsci.princeton.edu/~wn/w3wn.html), note:
wordnet is about 13 MB to download.

TIA
 Daniel

--
PGP Key fingerprint = 3D 98 9E D2 00 B6 E0 9D  7E B9 77 23 17 E2 11 6A