List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Cleaning up libraries
From:       Harri Porten <porten () tu-harburg ! de>
Date:       1999-05-30 10:08:36

Mario Weilguni wrote:

> Recently there was a discussion if to remove some old classes from the core
> libraries and move it into a compatibility library to discourage using them. I
> assembled a list of classes which are good candidates for removal. Here's the list:

[...]
> * kwizard
> I used the wizard in kppp, and I was not really happy with it. However, it's
> completly incompatible with QWizard, so it may be not that easy to remove
> it. If possible, we should do it anyway.

I ported that wizard to QWizard yesterday :). You are perfectly right
about the API being incompatible. KWizard offers two additional
features:

o page X from Y: not really needed IMO and often not usable since the
number of pages may depend on the data entered.

o Small < > arrows in the row: nice but not really important feature.
Could be implemented by deriving a class from QWizard.

I am pro porting to QWizard and willing to help/do it partially. There
is one thing why we still might need a wrapper (and this is a problem
with other widgets as well): The translations. A KWizard wrapper would
contain following code only:

  backButton()->setText("<< " + i18n("Back"));
  nextButton()->setText(i18n("Next") + " >>");
  helpButton()->setText(i18n("Help"));
  finishButton()->setText(i18n("Finish"));
  cancelButton()->setText(i18n("Cancel"));

Should I implement that ? KWizard's geometry managment is broken anyway
so a port would be worthwhile.

Harri.