List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: about our attitude towards M$ windows
From:       Paul Campbell <paul () chromatic ! com>
Date:       1999-05-28 16:56:47

On Fri, 28 May 1999, Aaron Levinson wrote:

> I've been looking for a tool like this, and I was told that one existed,
> but I could never find it in kdenetwork.  I do agree that the name is a
> bit misleading, however.  It makes me think that kNetmon is a network
> monitor--Microsoft ships a similar application with WinNT, and it
> certainly is not the network neighborhood.  Why not change the name to
> something that isn't misleading?  BTW, it would be great to have a
> "Network Neighborhood" icon on the KDE desktop.  The KDE Wizard thing
> could add it just like it adds Floppy (which does not necessarily work)
> and CD-ROM.

If someone's going to do this please make it less pc-centric - what it really
is is a "mount point browser" a way to find things to mount so that you
can click on icons rather than type in tacky strings - make it extensible
so that we can find and mount NFS mount points too (via yp/automounter?)
(and maybe appletalk mount points if someone wants to put in the work etc etc)
you get the idea

I like the idea of being able to find all the mount points on my
system (local and remote) by opening a window and finding them there,
then dragging the ones I want onto the desktop - I make heavy use
day to day of desktop icons representing NFS mount points - including
remotely mounted things like zip drives on other machines for backup

	Paul