List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KOffice Release
From:       Martin Konold <konold () alpha ! tat ! physik ! uni-tuebingen ! de>
Date:       1999-05-27 10:34:35

On Thu, 27 May 1999, Waldo Bastian wrote:

> Martin Konold wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, 26 May 1999, Kurt Granroth wrote:
> >
> > > I'd almost go as far as suggesting that we make a "special" version of kdelibs
> > > JUST for the KOffice release that contains ONLY those classes the KOffice
> > > uses.  That way the size would be kept waaaay down.
> >
> > Why not simply make the binaries for KOffice static like we did some
> > months ago? There are anyway not many other apps which want to share these
> > special libs in this stage.
>
> That seems to be the easiest solution. Note that the office apps
> themselves will probably share quite some code among each other
> and that making them static will increase the memory use quite
> a bit when you have multiple parts open.

Well,  it is supposed to be a technology preview. Anyone _really_
concerned about memory/speed has always the option to compile themself.
Linking statically also makes it easier to get the binaries running on
multiple Linux distributions.

> That still leaves Reggie's comment that embedding is expected to
> be broken for the next two months or so.

Reggie: Is the estimated time still current?

Regards,
-- martin

// Martin Konold, Herrenbergerstr. 14, 72070 Tuebingen, Germany  //
// Email: konold@kde.org                                         //
KDE:  A stable GUI for a reliable OS.
UNIX: Everything including a device is a file.
KDE:  Everything including a file is a URL.