List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KOffice Release
From:       Andreas Pour <pour () mieterra ! com>
Date:       1999-05-27 10:05:45

Reginald Stadlbauer wrote:

> On Thu, 27 May 1999, Martin Konold wrote:
> >On Wed, 26 May 1999, Kurt Granroth wrote:
> >
> >> I'd almost go as far as suggesting that we make a "special" version of kdelibs
> >> JUST for the KOffice release that contains ONLY those classes the KOffice
> >> uses.  That way the size would be kept waaaay down.
> >
> >Why not simply make the binaries for KOffice static like we did some
> >months ago? There are anyway not many other apps which want to share these
> >special libs in this stage.
>
> Hmmm... static binaries will get really big and use much memory and it's much
> work (that's why I dropped creating them)

I too do not see the advantage to static libraries.  What would be most helpful to
the user is just to have *everything* in one package (kind of like kdebase combines
a bunch of things) -- mico, the 1.89-pre libs, the corba stuff and the koffice
apps.  This elminates the biggest user frustration, having to hop around to download
many different packages, figure out which order to compile them in, etc.

Also, on the naming, how about something like the "Curiosity Release" or the "Teaser
Release" (or for SNL fans, the "Not Yet Ready for Prime Time Release") with a
subtitle of the actual version (if this is a snapshot date or a number doesn't
matter).  This makes is fairly clear that it is not final.

Regards,

Andreas