List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: kpixmapcache vs kiconloader + kaudioserver question
From:       David Faure <faure () alpha ! tat ! physik ! uni-tuebingen ! de>
Date:       1999-05-25 21:47:15

On Tue, May 25, 1999 at 10:24:36PM -0200, Uwe Thiem wrote:
> On Tue, 25 May 1999, David Faure wrote:
>
> > On Tue, May 25, 1999 at 09:28:16PM +0200, Stephan Kulow wrote:
> > > Hi!
> > >
> > > As far as I can see, both do almost the same. Is there a
> > > reason for Kpixmapcache or can it be merged into kiconloader?
> >
> > I first thought that they should be merged (which means that kiconloader would get
> > all the additional methods that exist in kpixmapcache).
> > BUT : this would mean that the result of the merge would have
> > to be in kio, because it uses the mimetype stuff !
> > (e.g. pixmapForURL(...), pixmapForMimeType(...))
> > => in fact I see no way of merging.
> >
> > We don't want all apps that use the icon loader to be required to link to kio...
> > The same problem ever and ever again....
>
> What kind of applications would it be that doesn't link to kio anyway?
> Alright, kcalc maybe. But every app that has got an "Open..." entry
> in its File menu should link to kio too, no?
This is right.

But it's not a reason to merge all libs into a single one.
Keeping well defined layers is the Right Thing.

A KDE-compliant app because it uses icons, fonts, config objects, and icon loader
is not necessarily network-transparent as well. kcalc is not the only example.
ktalkd is another, for instance. And I guess all other sorts of servers (audio servers,
... don't need kio either).

BTW, is it planned to make kaudioserver part of kded (for instance, optionnally loaded
using dlopen ? This would reduce even more the number of processes that have to run
for a standalone KDE app to work).

--
David FAURE
david.faure@insa-lyon.fr, faure@kde.org