List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: kimgio and qimgio : nonsense.
From:       Andrew Richards <physajr () phys ! canterbury ! ac ! nz>
Date:       1999-05-23 11:30:02

> On Fri, 21 May 1999, Matt Koss wrote:
>

> > I would suggest rather to make a wrapper for Imlib.
> > It is really a fast library.
> >
> > Just look at kuickshow for comparison.
>
> How well does it work with QPixmap and QImage, ie will a data copy be
> required to marshall the image into and out of Imlib's internal image
> format? Sorry, I don't have much experience with it. Kimgio is required to
> do stuff like load icons, backgrounds etc and it may be a handicap if
> stuff has to be copied around more than is necessary, especially for
> larger images.
>
> I'd love to hear more about this; I've heard more than one person say that
> they were working on an imlib wrapper but I haven't seen anything so far.

I looked at this a while ago and it appeared that there would be a significant
performance penalty in getting to a QImage and on to a QPixmap. Direct drawing
to the screen is fast but it ain't a QPixmap.

This doesn't mean it is a bad idea though. Using it to convert images which
kimgio/qimageio doesn't handle would be nice. Ditto for imagemagick, I suppose.
Wouldn't want the rely on them though.

Andrew
======