List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: directory for additional services?
From:       Stephan Kulow <coolo () alpha ! tat ! physik ! uni-tuebingen ! de>
Date:       1999-05-21 15:38:25

David Faure wrote:

> On Fri, May 21, 1999 at 04:24:58PM +0200, Stephan Kulow wrote:
> > Simon Hausmann wrote:

> > > Okok ;-)
> > >
> > > So $prefix/share/services is ok with everyone?
> > > (replacing the obsolete kde_partsdir )
> > >
> > Hmm, don't know how your "okok" and the rest mix together :)
>
> I don't understand you, Stephan.
> We have nothing in $prefix/share/kde at the moment !
> Everything is in $prefix/share, right ?
> So what's the problem with $prefix/share/services ?

Well, I just installed about 100 packages of free software
and put them all in /opt/local (with some script magic to
avoid conflicts) and noticed, that KDE behaves not very
much standard. So every program creates $prefix/share/$package
to place files or directories there. Just think about
if you would place KDE into prefix=/usr and then why you
won't :)

If KDE uses share/kde it would fit much more (taking away
$KDEDIR/cgi-bin, which is obsolute anyway I guess :).
Everyone of us has it's own $KDEDIR because we're developers
and actually the whole idea of KDEDIR has been created when
developers wanted a way to place other kde apps in the same
place as they did. In that days KDEDIR=/usr or /usr/local
was already too much - but now our main usage field are binary
packages, not? And they belong in /usr (or in /opt/local in
my case).

Greetings, Stephan

--
Und sie nannten ihn, wie er selbst unterschrieb -
Den Trojanischen Pferdedieb