List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: directory for additional services?
From:       Stephan Kulow <coolo () alpha ! tat ! physik ! uni-tuebingen ! de>
Date:       1999-05-21 15:40:50

Kurt Granroth wrote:

> > > Hmm, don't know how your "okok" and the rest mix together :)
> >
> > I don't understand you, Stephan.
> > We have nothing in $prefix/share/kde at the moment !
> > Everything is in $prefix/share, right ?
> > So what's the problem with $prefix/share/services ?
>
> No, everything is in $KDEDIR/share.  We have it like the following, now:
>
> /x/kde/share
> /x/kde/bin
> /x/kde/lib
>
> and so on (where 'x' is /opt or /usr or /usr/local or whatever)
>
> The FHS says to do things like
>
> /x/share/kde
> /x/share/gnome
> /x/share/vim
> /x/lib/kde (I think)
> /x/lib/gnome (I think)
> /x/bin
>
> Personally, I like our $KDEDIR setup the best.  KDE is just too big to think
> that it can easily fit at the same level as "normal" packages.

That's nonsense. "Mine is bigger, it doesn't fit into normal pants" is
the wrong attitute here. What's the problem with "big"? That you have to
add an extra path to your $PATH? Is that what big is? I don't want to,
I want everything in one path if possible.

Greetings, Stephan

--
Und sie nannten ihn, wie er selbst unterschrieb -
Den Trojanischen Pferdedieb