List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KConfig again
From:       Holger Thon <devel_ht () unidui ! uni-duisburg ! de>
Date:       1999-05-18 16:53:35

Steffen Hansen wrote:

> On Sat, 15 May 1999 pbrown@redhat.com wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 16 May 1999, Steffen Hansen wrote:
> >
> > > Maybe the app should decide for itself if entries should be cached in RAM
> > > (in a QMap).
> >
> > We have talked a little more and now it seems like putting the entries in
> > a size limited QCache might be a good idea, which the cache flushed out
> > periodically.
> >
> > However, I am under the impression that once an application has allocated
> > memory, even if it frees it, it doesn't go back into the system memory
> > pool.  It keeps it until it exits.  Isn't this the case in the majority of
> > UNIX systems?

What do you think of the following: Implementing two KConfigs: First
KConfigStat which reads all data statically (i.e. for programs which
need config just for initialisation; memory can be freed after that).
2nd a KConfigDyn (inherits KConfig) which caches the config items in a
QCache or something like this for apps which often have to read (or even
write to) the configuration file.

The 2nd could inherit the first, so if the read and write routines are
separate they have just been adapted to use the cache as well.
For downwards compability, we can define KConfig to be either of them
(KConfigDyn or KConfigStat).

Regards,
  Holger