List:       kde-devel
Subject:    kbgndwm's future
From:       Antonio Larrosa <antlarr () arrakis ! es>
Date:       1999-05-18 15:58:11

Hi,

I would like to implement transparent backgrounds in konsole before I start
exams, but I'm not completely sure if kbgndwm will stay as it is for much
long (due to kdesktop talking and all that).

So I would like to know some things:

 1. Will KDE 2.0 store the background settings as it does now ? (I don't
really mind if it's kbgndwm or kdesktop as long as the config file remains
similar)
 2. Will we find a better way to make transparent backgrounds than now ?
I've been thinking of implement it on konsole the same way as in kpager,
that is, read kbgndwm settings and generate the background. Hmm, perhaps
we could make kbgndwm put the background pixmap in shared memory and write
the shmid to a file so that konsole (and kpager) don't have to regenerate
the whole background. What do you think ?

Anyone has more info on this ?

Greetings,

PS: I want to do this before this weekend as I won't have much free time
after that.
--
Antonio Larrosa Jimenez
Student of Mathematics