List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Applets? [ was: Re: kde mp3 player]
From:       iglio () fub ! it (Pietro Iglio)
Date:       1999-05-14 11:30:02

At 17.39 13/05/99 +0200, Torsten Rahn wrote:
>On Thu, 13 May 1999, Pietro Iglio wrote:
>> toolbuttons on

>> >NNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, Please Nooooooooo!!!
>> >(Hope you heard it!)
>> >This means that we have to make an icon for *every* menu-entry.
>>
>> This is not necessary: you can only drag some menu entries, the ones that
>> come with an icon.
>
>As far as you can drop only the menu entries with icons (the icons should
>appear in the menu by deafult then) this would be a good idea.
>
>But the other way would save you when there is no icon ...
>
>> Developers could use icons from a large set of
>> standard mini-icons (other might be added to cover a large amount of
>> common menu entries).
>
>Great idea! And who do you think will create this 'large set of standard
>mini-icons' that is so large that you'll find an icon for every purpose?
>
>Don't count on me ...

I can understand your disappointment. However, implementing this feature
doesn't imply having a large number of icons available. We can just enable
drag'n'drop for items that have an icon. Where we get the icons is a
different matter.

Question: is there any copyright issue if we copy toolbar icons from other
applications? I have seen the same icons (eg. the floppy disk for "Save")
in many toolbars in many different applications.
Did they all pay license fees? Is it possible to copyright a small icon?
(like the ones appearing in toolbars)

-- Pietro