List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Applets? [ was: Re: kde mp3 player]
From:       Sirtaj Singh Kang <ssk () physics ! unimelb ! edu ! au>
Date:       1999-05-14 4:29:14

Hi Torsten,

On Thu, 13 May 1999, Torsten Rahn wrote:
[snip]
> Ahem, what is the advantage of icons? Hmmm, and what do you
> loose with your solution? -- Exactly! -- Got it?

Well, let's look at the various factors here:

1. You don't want to draw toolbar icons, which is fair enough.

2. You believe there will not be enough icons to make this a useful
feature.

3. You believe this feature is hard to use and tearable toolbars are
better.

4. You suggest that only items with custom icons should be draggable onto
the toolbar. Otherwise, the menu should be tearable.

Now look at it from the users' perspective:

-> A user learns that menu items can be dragged onto the toolbar. What a
cool feature! Let's try it...

-> This doesn't work AT ALL for 50% of menu items just because they don't
have an icon! Who cares about the damn icon!?? I just want "new HTML table
row" on the toolbar dammit!

-> To make matters worse, there is yet another feature that allows tearing
off of entire menus, creating what looks like yet another toolbar, but
without any icons at all (and I can't modify it either).

Sorry, but this looks very suboptimal to me. Especially since it is forced
entirely by 1. and 2. above.

My suggestion: we just implement it, and if users are annoyed by the lack
of custom icons for less-common functions we'll deal with it then.

-Taj.

Sirtaj S. Kang       taj@kde.org         ssk@physics.unimelb.edu.au
Univ of Melbourne
			"I'm a commercial operating system."