List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Applets? [ was: Re: kde mp3 player]
From:       Torsten Rahn <rahn () astrophysik ! uni-kiel ! de>
Date:       1999-05-14 5:58:03

Sirtaj Singh Kang wrote:

> Hi Torsten,
>
> On Thu, 13 May 1999, Torsten Rahn wrote:
> [snip]
> > Ahem, what is the advantage of icons? Hmmm, and what do you
> > loose with your solution? -- Exactly! -- Got it?
>
> Well, let's look at the various factors here:
>
> 1. You don't want to draw toolbar icons, which is fair enough.

Itīs not just a matter of wanting. We have very few artists right now
And this feature would cost a lot of work in my opinion.

> 2. You believe there will not be enough icons to make this a useful
> feature.

I didnīt say that it would not be useful ...

> 3. You believe this feature is hard to use and tearable toolbars are
> better.

Itīs easier to use, the only disadvantage that I see is that it costs a
lot
of space on the desktop in some cases ...

> 4. You suggest that only items with custom icons should be draggable onto
> the toolbar. Otherwise, the menu should be tearable.

Nope, every menu should be tearable.

> Now look at it from the users' perspective:
>
> -> A user learns that menu items can be dragged onto the toolbar. What a
> cool feature! Let's try it...
>
> -> This doesn't work AT ALL for 50% of menu items just because they don't
> have an icon! Who cares about the damn icon!?? I just want "new HTML table
> row" on the toolbar dammit!

O.k. if this text shows up instead of the missing icon, yes, no, Hmm, I
donīt know if I like this ...

> -> To make matters worse, there is yet another feature that allows tearing
> off of entire menus, creating what looks like yet another toolbar, but
> without any icons at all (and I can't modify it either).

At least it looks familiar, with quick access, is easy to understand.

> Sorry, but this looks very suboptimal to me. Especially since it is forced

To me, too.

> entirely by 1. and 2. above.
>
> My suggestion: we just implement it, and if users are annoyed by the lack
> of custom icons for less-common functions we'll deal with it then.

O.k., half-convinced, letīs do it this way if there are no better
solutions/approaches ...

Torsten